Academician Pien-Chien Huang (黃秉乾)
- 1952 Bachelor, Department of Agronomy, National Taiwan University
- 1956 Master, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA
- 1960 Ph.D., The Ohio State University, USA
- 1965-2020 Professor, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- 1966-1971 NIH Research Career Development Award
- 1969 American Chemical Society Distinguished Service Award
- 1969 、 1972 Visiting Scientist, Molecular Biology Laboratory, Cambridge Institute of Medicine, UK
- 1973-1976 Chair Professor, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Massachusetts, USA
- 1983 Advisory Committee of the preparatory office of the Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica
- 1986 Academician of the Academia Sinica
- 1992-1995 Dean, College of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University
- 1996-1999 Chief Executive Officer, Molecular Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, National Science Foundation, USA
- 2003 Honorary Professor of Shen’s Culture and Education Foundation, National Tsing Hua University
We are deeply saddened by the tremendous loss of our dear friend and mentor, Academician Pien-Chien (PC) Huang, who passed away in the United States on August 3, 2020.
Besides his longtime scientific contribution to research, PC has also made tremendous contributions to promoting Taiwan's research development and scientific education. He has served on the scientific advisory board of IPMB for decades. Whenever PC visited IPMB, we all benefited greatly from his warm, wise, and inspiring talks, which lit up and energized the spirits of senior or junior scientists at all levels. PC is a caring and persuasive person who could open up people’s minds toward positive thoughts and guide people facing challenges toward breakthroughs.
We deeply miss his scholarly demeanor and believe that the fire ignited by PC will continue to lead and influence everyone he ever encountered.