Ho, Tuan-hua (賀端華)
Distinguished Visiting Chair
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, Michigan State University, USA
- Hormone and stress signaling; function of stress proteins; lignocellulose degrading enzymes
This research group is interested in addressing two fundamentally important questions in biology: 1] how does an organism make decisions? and 2] how does an organism respond to its environment? In addition, the Ho lab is also interested in developing microbial enzymes useful in the cellulosic biofuel production
Hormonal antagonism in the regulation of seed dormancy/germination:
The interaction between two phytohormones, the promotive gibberellins [GA] and the inhibitory abscisic acid [ABA], is central to the developmental transition from seed dormancy to germination. The research program has been focused on the signaling process mediated by GA and ABA, as well as the crosstalk between these two hormones.
Function of stress proteins:
Due to their lack of mobility to avoid stressful conditions, plants tend to drastically alter their gene expression profile in response to environmental perturbations. However, the function of many stress-induced proteins remains unexplored. We are currently investigating a late embryogenesis abundant (LEA) protein,HVA1, a programmed cell death repressor, HVA22, and a highly proline-rich glycoprotein, RePRP. HVA1 and RePRP are likely to be intrinsically disordered proteins and their function is dependent on other proteins they interact with. We are also interested in the role of these proteins in the re-programing of root development under stress.
Microbial enzymes for cellulosic biofuel production:
Another effort in the lab is related to the discovery,improvement, and application of microbial cellulolytic enzymes, i.e., endo-glucanase and exo-glucanases,β-glucosidase, and laccase for biofuel production from recalcitrant agricultural wastes, such as rice straws and sugarcane bagasse. We have isolated and cloned highly active and stable enzymes from Taiwan indigenous microorganisms and insects. The protein structure/function relationship of these enzymes is currently being investigated and the information used as the foundation for improvements.
Selected publication list
- Lo SF, Ho THD*, Liu YL, Jiang MJ, Hsieh KT, Chen KT, Yu LC, Lee MH, Chen CY, Huang TP, Kojima M, Sakakibara H, Chen LJ*, and Yu SM* (2016) Ectopic expression of specific GA2 oxidase mutants promotes yield and stress tolerance in rice. Plant Biotechnology Journal in press.
- Lo SF, Fan MJ, Hsing YI, Chen LJ, Chen S, Wen IC, Liu YL, Chen KT, Jiang MJ, Lin MK, Rao MY, Yu LC, Ho THD*, and Yu SM* (2016) Genetic resources offer efficient tools for rice functional genomics research. Plant, Cell & Environment 39:998-1013.
- Yu SM*, Lo SF, and Ho THD (2015) Source-sink communication: regulated by hormone, nutrient, and stress cross-signaling. Trends in Plant Science 20:844-57.
- Chen YS, Lo SF, Sun PK, Tseng TH, Lu CA , Ho THD*, Yu SM* (2015) An ABA-inducible Synthetic Promoter Regulates HVA1 in Rice Leading to Root Growth, Stress Tolerance, and Efficient Nutrient Utilization. Plant Biotech J 13:105-116 (featured article for the cover of this issue).
- Lin CR, Lee KW, Chen CY, Hong YF, Chen JL, Lu CA, Chen KT, Ho THD, and Yu SM* (2014) SnRK1A-interacting negative regulators modulate the nutrient starvation signaling sensor SnRK1 in source-sink communication in cereal seedlings under abiotic stress. Plant Cell 26(2):808-827.
- Yoneda A, Kuo HWD, Ishihara M, Azadi P, Yu SM, and Ho THD* (2014) Glycosylation variants of a β-glucosidase secreted by a Taiwanese fungus, Chaetomella raphigera, exhibit variant-specific catalytic and biochemical properties. PLOS ONE 9(9):e106306 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0106306.
- Yeh YF, Chang SCY, Kuo HW, Tong CG, Yu SM, Ho THD* (2013) A metagenomic approach for the identification and cloning of an endoglucanase from rice straw compost. Gene 519:360-366.
- Tseng IC, Hong CY, Kao YT, Yu SM, and Ho THD* (2013) A group of highly proline-rich glycoproteins mediate ABA/stress regulated root growth in rice. Plant Physiol. 163:118-134.
- Hong YF, Ho THD, Wu CF, Ho SL, Yeh RH, Lu CA, Chen PW, Yu LC, Yu SM* (2012) Convergent starvation signals and hormone crosstalk in regulating nutrient mobilization upon germination. Plant Cell 24:7 2857-2873.
- Ng IS, Tsai SW, Ju YM, Yu SM*, Ho THD* (2011) Dynamic synergistic effect on Trichoderma reesei cellulases by novelβ-glucosidases from Taiwanese Fungi. Bioresource Technology 102:6073-6081.