金原和江 (Kanehara, Kazue)
- 2017-Present: Associate Research Fellow, IPMB, Academia Sinica (Taiwan)
- 2011-2017: Assistant Research Fellow, IPMB, Academia Sinica (Taiwan)
- 2010-2011 Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research (Germany)
- 2005-2009 Research Fellow, Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory (Singapore)
- 2004 Research Fellow, Pennsylvania State University (USA)
- Ph.D., Kyoto University, Japan (2003)
- The Cell Systems in Plants
Plants take advantage of their immobility. Our interest is to understand the plasticity of plants at the organelle and cellular levels. Plants, as sessile organisms, must respond to biotic (pathogen, symbiosis) and abiotic stresses (drought, heat, salinity), and have developed numerous mechanisms to cope with changes in their surrounding environment. Plasticity in plants is represented by the ability to drastically alter one’s own morphology to accommodate external changes. For example, plants that suffer from phosphate limitation enlarge their root surface areas to facilitate phosphate uptake from the soil. This is visible and reversible morphological plasticity at the organ level. At the molecular level, plants can modify the fatty acid composition of membrane lipids to maintain a relatively constant fluidity when temperatures drop. This is invisible cellular plasticity for tolerating cold weather.
The Cell Systems
～ a constitutive understanding of cellular networking～
Each cellular tissue, whether consisting of a single or multiple cell type, has its specific functions. Our research is aimed at understanding cellular networking in single cell communities.
The initial reaction of plants during environmental adaptation is the reception of external signals by some of the receptors in a particular cell. This signal is then transmitted to neighboring cells. Individual-level adaptation to environmental changes thus can not be accomplished without successful intercellular signal transduction. Pivotal questions at this point are:
Q1. What happens in a cell that receives external signals?
Q2. What happens in the neighboring cells that did not receive the signals?
Q3. What happens in the neighboring cells of a different type within the same tissue?
Q4. What happen in the neighboring tissue?
Focusing on a single cell at the organelle level
To elucidate cellular networking, we focus on a single cell at the organelle level, initially the endoplasmic reticulum (ER). The endoplasmic reticulum is a site where secretory proteins, potential signal transmitters to neighboring cells, are synthesized. More than 17% Arabidopsis thaliana (higher plant) proteins are predicted to be secretory proteins and over 30% are predicted to be membrane proteins. During environmental changes, ER must execute its plasticity to maintain the homeostatic production of signal transmitters.
Multiple model organisms
We will use multiple model organisms, Arabidopsis, Chlamydomonas, Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Anabaena for our projects.
Selected publication list
Articles (* corresponding author)
- Chao-Yuan Yu, Yueh Cho, Oshin Sharma, Kazue Kanehara* (2021) What’s unique? – The unfolded protein response (UPR) in plants J. Exp. Bot. https://academic.oup.com/jxb/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/jxb/erab513/6445981
- Chao-Yuan Yu#, Oshin Sharma#, Phong H.T. Nguyen¶, Chynthia D. Hartono¶, Kazue Kanehara* (2021) A pair of DUF538 domain-containing proteins modulates plant growth and trichome development through the transcriptional regulation of GLABRA1 in Arabidopsis thaliana. (#, ¶; contributed equally) Plant J. 108, 992-1004 [the cover issue]
- Chao-Yuan Yu and Kazue Kanehara* (2020) The unfolded protein response modulates a phosphoinositide-binding protein through the IRE1-bZIP60 pathway. Plant Phys. 183, 221-235
- Yuki Nakamura, Ying-Chen Lin, Satoshi Watanabe, Yu-chi Liu, Kentaro Katsuyama, Kazue Kanehara, and Kenji Inaba (2019) High-resolution crystal structure of Arabidopsis FLOWERING LOCUS T illuminates its phospholipid-binding site in flowring. iScience, 21:577-586
- Anh Hai Ngo, Kazue Kanehara, and Yuki Nakamura. (2019) Non‐specific phospholipases C, NPC2 and NPC6, are required for root growth in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 100(4): 825-835.
- Ying-Chen Lin, Kazue Kanehara, and Yuki Nakamura. (2019) Arabidopsis CHOLINE/ETHNAOLAMINE KINASE 1 (CEK1) is a primary choline kinase localized at the ER and involved in ER stress tolerance. New Phytol. 223(4):1904-1917.
- Van Cam Nguyen, Yuki Nakamura, and Kazue Kanehara*. (2019) Membrane lipid polyunsaturation mediated by FATTY ACID DESATURASE 2 (FAD2) is involved in endoplasmic reticulum stress tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 99(3):478-493
- Yu-chi Liu, Ying-Chen Lin, Kazue Kanehara and Yuki Nakamura (2019) A methytransferase trio essential for phosphatidylcholine biosynthesis and growth. Plant Phys., 179, 433-445
- Yu-chi Liu, Ying-Chen Lin, Kazue Kanehara and Yuki Nakamura (2018) A pair of phospho-base methyltransferases important for phophatidylcholine biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant J., 96, 1064-1075
- Chao-Yuan Yu, Van Cam Nguyen, Ling Chuang and Kazue Kanehara* (2018) Membrane glycerolipid equilibrium under endoplasmic reticulum stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 500, 103-109
- Yueh Cho, Chao-Yuan Yu, Yuki Nakamura, and Kazue Kanehara* (2017) Arabidopsis dolichol kinase AtDOK1 is involved in flowering time control J. Exp. Bot. 68, 3243-3252 DOI: 10.1093/jxb/erx095
- Yueh Cho and Kazue Kanehara* (2017) Endoplasmic reticulum stress response in Arabidopsis roots. Front. Plant Sci. 8:144. DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2017.00144
- Chun-Hsien Hung, Kazue Kanehara and Yuki Nakamura*(2016) Isolation and characterization of a mutant defective in triacylglycerol accumulation in nitrogen-starved Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Biochimica. Biophysica. Acta, 1861:1282-1293
- Chun-Hsien Hung, Kazue Kanehara and Yuki Nakamura*(2016) In vivo reconstitution of algal triacylglycerol production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Front. Microbiol., 7:70. DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.00070
- Kazue Kanehara*, Chao-Yuan Yu, Yueh Cho, Wei-Fun Cheong, Federico Torta, Guanghou Shui, Markus R Wenk and Yuki Nakamura (2015) Arabidopsis AtPLC2 is a primary phosphoinositide-specific phospholipase C in phosphoinositide metabolism and the endoplasmic reticulum stress response. PLOS Genet., 11(9):e1005511. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1005511
- Yueh Cho, Chao-Yuan Yu, Tatsuo Iwasa and Kazue Kanehara* (2015) Heterotrimeric G protein subunits differentially respond to endoplasmic reticulum stress in Arabidopsis, Plant Signal. Behav., 10(10):e1061162. DOI: 10.1080/15592324.2015.1061162
- Kazue Kanehara*, Yueh Cho, Ying-Chen Lin, Chia-En Chen, Chao-Yuan Yu and Yuki Nakammura (2015) Arabidopsis DOK1 encodes a functional dolichol kinase involved in reproduction, Plant J., 81, 292-303
- Yuki Nakamura*, Fernando Andrés, Kazue Kanehara, Yu-chi Liu, George Coupland and Peter Dörmann (2014) Diurnal and circadian expression profiles of glycerolipid biosynthetic genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Signal. Behav., 9(9):e29715. DOI: 10.4161/psb.29715
- Yuki Nakamura*, Fernando Andrés, Kazue Kanehara, Yu-chi Liu, Peter Dörmann and George Coupland (2014) Arabidopsis florigen FT binds to diurnally oscillating phospholipids that accelerate flowering. Nature Communications, 5:3553 DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4553
- Chun-Hsien Hung, Ming-Yang Ho, Kazue Kanehara and Yuki Nakamura* (2013) Functional study of diacylglycerol acyltransferase type 2 family in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. FEBS Lett., 587, 2364-2370
- Nico Tintor, Annegret Ross, Kazue Kanehara, Kohji Yamada, Li Fan, Birgit Kemmerling, Thorsten Nürnberger, Kenichi Tsuda and Yusuke Saijo* (2013) Layered pattern receptor signaling via ethylene and endogenous elicitor peptides during Arabidopsis immunity to bacterial infection. PNAS, 110, 6211-6216
- Mario Serrano, Kazue Kanehara, Martha Torres, Kohji Yamada, Nico Tintor, Erich Kombrink, Paul Schulze-Lefert, and Yusuke Saijo* (2012) Repression of sucrose/ultraviolet-B light-induced flavonoid accumulation in microbe-associated molecular pattern-triggered immunity in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology, 158, 408-422
- #Robert Gauss , #Kazue Kanehara, Pedro Carvalho, Davis T. Ng and Markus Aebi* (2011) A complex of Pdi1p and the mannosidase Htm1p initiates clearance of unfolded glycoproteins from the endoplasmic reticulum. Mol Cell. 42, 782-793 (#contributed equally)
- Kazue Kanehara, Wei Xie, and Davis T.W. Ng* (2010) Modularity of the Hrd1 ERAD complex underlies its diverse range. J. Cell Biol. 188, 707-716
- #Wei Xie , #Kazue Kanehara, Ayaz Sayeed and Davis T.W. Ng* (2009) Intrinsic conformational determinants signal protein misfolding to the Hrd1/Htm1 endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation system. Mol. Biol. Cell 20, 3317-3329 (#contributed equally)
- Yoshinori Akiyama*, Kazue Kanehara and Koreaki Ito (2004) RseP (YaeL), an Escherichia coli RIP protease, cleaves transmembrane sequences. EMBO J. 23,4434-4442
- Kazue Kanehara, Koreaki Ito and Yoshinori Akiyama* (2003) YaeL proteolysis of RseA is controlled by the PDZ domain of YaeL and a Gln-rich region of RseA. EMBO J. 22, 6389-6398
- Iwasa Tasuo, Sachiko Moshima, Ayako Watari, Mahito Ohkumam, Takahiro Azuma, Kazue Kanehara and Motoyuki Tsuda* (2003) A novel G protein α subunit in embryo of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Zoolog. Sci. 2, 141-151
- Kazue Kanehara, Koreaki Ito and Yoshinori Akiyama* (2002) YaeL (EcfE) activates the σE pathway of stress response through a site-2 cleavage of anti-σE, RseA. Genes Dev. 16, 2147-2155
- Kazue Kanehara, Yoshinori Akiyama and Koreaki Ito* (2001) Characterization of the yaeL gene product and its S2P-protease motifs in Escherichia coli. Gene 281, 71-79 Review articles
- Kazue Kanehara, Shinichi Kawaguchi and Davis T.W. Ng* (2007) The EDEM and Yos9p families of lectin-like ERAD factors. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 18, 743-750
- Kazue Kanehara and Yoshinori Akiyama* (2003) RIP (regulated intramembrane proteolysis): from bacteria to higher organism. Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso 7, 836-841
諾海安 (Dr. Anh H. Ngo) 研究學者 （經費由科技部補助，台灣）
阮錦雲 (Dr. Van C. Nguyen) 博士後研究員
劉嘉怡 (2020年9月 ~ 2021年8月)
卓岳 (2014年1月 ~ 2021年7月)
阮黃清風 (2017年6月 ~ 2019年12月 and 2020年8月 ~ 2020年12月)
陳蘭香 (2018年11月 ~ 2020年8月)
陳明 (2017年10月 ~ 2018年12月)
莊羚 (2015年8月 ~ 2017年12月)
陳加恩 (2012年1月 ~ 2013年12月)